Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Working on Older Projects - Photos

Stacked Hypertufa balls.
So earlier this year I was working on some Hypertufa spheres.  At the time, my husband and I were doing some major repairs to our home.  The Hypertufa spheres were cast in concrete, but that is as far as they were finished.

It is actually okay to leave the concrete spheres out year round.  They will eventually develop a patina.  It is also fun to decorate the spheres with varying media.  It all just depends on what you want to do with the sphere.  I'm thinking about painting some of the spheres.  I figure that I will start with some of the smaller ones and see how it goes before taking on a larger sphere. 

A piece cast from an old light globe.
I had some leftover Hypertufa after I made the spheres so I made some round(ish) balls.  I stacked the balls and glued them together with some thin-set mortar.  They look like stacked stones that you might see in a garden.  My intention was to paint them to look more like actual rocks.  And that is where that project has sat for some time as I became busy with other projects.  So here at the end of the year, I'm trying to finish them up so I can start the new year with all the old projects completed. 

Right now they are plain Hypertufa and don't look all that interesting.  I'm thinking that paint will add a bit of interest.  I plan to give the Hypertufa a base coat of Gesso, then a base coat of gray, and after that paint them with sponges to make them look like different types of rock.  Most likely they will look like granite, marble, basalt, and sandstone.  But who knows what will come about when the creative juices start flowing.

No comments: