Sunday, March 22, 2015

Some Easter Bunnies

A chocolate mold bunny.
This week we had some wonderful weather.  Just a couple of weeks ago there was snow everywhere.  This week the sun came out and we could go outside in shirt sleeves for the first time.  Needless to say it was wonderful and I took full advantage of it.  I washed and waxed my car, picked up the yard, and ran errands that I had put off for a while.  It was so nice to be out without having to trudge through snow, freezing temperatures, or rain.  It feels as if we have had gray skies since November.

Resin Bunny from 1960's
Needless to say that I did not get a lot of crafting done this week.  I really needed to be outside for a while.  There has been some progress made on the anthropomorphic figures, but I am not ready to put up pictures just yet.  By the blog post on Thursday I should have some pictures.  Right now the figures are in pieces.  I also wanted to do a little experimenting with a few
different ways to make the figures.  I started with original instructions on how to make a doll.  From there I am branching out to see how I can transform the idea and find new ways to represent the figures.  It has been a fun learning experience.

Wooden hand carved Bunny.  Age unknown.
One of the things I did this week was to pull out my Easter Bunny and Easter Egg collection.  They only come out for a few weeks each year.   I have not pulled out the entire collection for about three years.  There come a time when a collector has collected so many items that it becomes difficult to display them.  I have reached that point for Christmas, Easter, and Halloween collectibles.  When I bring them out, every shelf, nook, and cranny is covered with figurines.  Once you start collecting, people start collecting or have items to give you.

Wooden hand carved Bunny.  Age unknown.
The collection starts to grow quickly.  I finally had to tell myself to stop.  I still buy items from time to time, but not nearly as often as I used to purchase them.  At some point your realize just how much money is tied up in your collection.  It is all about the chase.  As soon as you find that special figurine, you are off looking for the next one.   There is always something new around the next corner.

I found the two wooden Bunnies at a store a few years ago.  The store owner was not able to tell me anything about where they came from.  The bottom of the figures are bare wood.  When you turn them over you can see that the wood is very old and dry. 

I painted the Easter eggs in the photos.  They are actually bisque eggs I found at the craft store.  They were plain white.  I painted them multiple colors.  I painted them with one color of paint then covered some of the area with peel and stick stickers: hearts, flowers, and stars.  Once the stickers were on, I painted on a second color of paint.  When the paint dried, I removed the stickers and had many colorful eggs.  The egg cups were commercial cups I found at a craft store.

Anyway, after a brief few days of nice weather I will be back at work on the anthropomorphic figures.  Despite the few days of spring weather, we have snow forecast for next Saturday.  Oh yes.  I will be back at work on the figures soon.  Check back on Thursday for the latest photos of the anthropomorphic figures.






No comments: