Thursday, June 16, 2016

Lamb Soft Sculpture - Part 10

Last blog post I showed the lamb soft sculpture with the ears and tail added.  Today's post will show some painting I did on the lamb.  Some of the pictures that I looked at when getting inspiration form my folk art lamb showed lambs and sheep with very little wool on their faces and forelimbs.  Some sheep had faces that were white and others were various shades of brown or gray.  I wanted to add a little color to my lamb.  It would have been completely in character to have the face and forelimbs of my lamb to be white and covered with roving.  However, adding a little color added interest.  So I decided to do a little fabric painting on my lamb.

I used regular acrylic craft paints mixed with textile medium.  The mixture was further diluted with water before being painted onto the lamb.  I also painted a little extra fabric medium onto the lamb before applying the paint.  I saw this technique on a craft show that used to be on television years ago.  You can buy textile paints that already have the medium incorporated.  I prefer to mix my own so that I don't have multiple sets of acrylic paint to store.  Also, mixing my own allows me to change the ratio of paint to textile medium if I choose. 

After the paint dried, I sewed a face onto my lamb using brown button thread.  His nose is a little crooked, but that is okay.  Sheep wiggle their nose, it is not always in one place.  In any case, it was one of those situations where trying to correct the problem was going to create more of a problem than leaving it as it was. 

I think the lamb's expression is adorable.  Who wouldn't want to love this little lamb.  I think of her expression portraying calm and contentment.  I think that this lamb is going to be one of my favorite (pet) projects.  Pardon the pun.

My next blog post will be on one of my off the books projects.  Every so often I like to catch my readers up on another project I am trying to complete.  After that I will be posting on the lamb project again.

No comments: