Sunday, August 6, 2017

Quilting Completed on my Scrap Quilt

Horizontal view.
I've finally completed the quilting on my latest scrap quilt.  I was working several hours a day trying to get this finished by the deadline for the quilt show.  Unfortunately, I missed the deadline for submitting the application and photo by two days.  This quilt will not be in the quilt show, but I am considering putting it in the state fair. 

Vertical view.
I guess entering it into the fair competition depends on whether or not I will be in town on the drop off and pick up dates for the fair.  They have some very specific dates for pick up.  If I don't pick it up within that time frame they get rid of the item by donating the item or perhaps keeping the item for himself or herself.  I have put way too much work into this quilt to be damaged or lost.  I estimated the number of stitches in the quilt based on an average amount of hand stitching in the piecing and quilting of one block.  That figure comes out to be just under eleven thousand stitches in the quilt.

Close up of the Bird in the Air block.
The scrap quilts size is 45" x 46" (114.3 cm. x 116.84 cm.)  This quilt would be sized to be a lap quilt.  I had enough fabric that I could have made this large enough to be a twin size quilt.  However, at that point I thought I might finish it in time for the quilt show if I made a smaller quilt.  I do have enough scrap that I could make another lap quilt if I use a Flying Geese block rather than the Bird in the Air block. 

View of the quilting from the back of the quilt.
Now that I have finished the quilting on this quilt, I can get back to quilting on my Star and Leaf quilt.  I would like to finish that by the fall, but it is slow going.  It is really hard to get enthused about quilting a 72" x 72" quilt (182.88 cm. x 182.88 cm.) when the temperatures are in the upper 90s Fahrenheit (approximately 35.55 C.).  Even with the air conditioning cranked down, I feel like I am roasting.  So, it will get done when it gets done.  I would like to put it in the fair though.  I just don't know if I can continue several hours a day for another month or so. 

Anyway, after many weeks, I have a project completed.  There are so many things I would like to make, but I just lack the time.  I guess that it will be finished when it is finished.  Check back next Sunday for another update on the Star and Leaf quilt.

No comments: