Sunday, October 8, 2017

My Latest Halloween Collectible

Long time readers know that I am very fond of my Halloween collection.  I try to add something to it every year.  Some items have been purchased, and some items I made myself.  I try to add something to my collection every year.  There are plenty of Halloween objects out there,  but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  These days, I tend to try to only purchase something that is really a work of art in and of itself. 

This year I found such a really fascinating object.  It is a resin replica of two skeletons.  It is also a shelf sitter.  The lower legs of one of the skeletons are "jointed" with metal rings so that the legs will move.  There are many skeletons out there, but this one has an incredible amount of detail.  I don't generally see skeletons of this quality.  Once I saw it, I had to have it; although, it did come close to the boundary of the limit I allow myself to spend on a collectible. 

To a certain extent, collecting is waste of money.  If I had to sell them, no one will ever want to pay what they are worth.  Everyone wants a bargain.  So collecting is really not about the money or even the item itself.   It is about the chase; the search for the next illusive item.  It keeps life
interesting. 

If you collect Halloween items, don't be discouraged or turned off by cheap, disposable objects.  Because these objects are ephemeral, there will be few left years down the road.  If you have kept one of these disposable items for a long time, they could be worth some money.  I have a replica of a small Halloween lantern that I had in the 1960s.  If I had kept that little lantern, it would be worth about $45.00 today ($38.36 Euros).   That is not a fortune, but it is much more than the dollar or two that it cost back in the day.

This is a photo of one of the bookcases in the house.  It has some of my favorite pieces on it.  Halloween items have taken over nearly every room. I have made twelve Halloween dolls, a Halloween themed quilt, and a quilted wall hanging, as well as a couple of handmade masks, rattles and a couple of paintings.  Halloween stuff is everywhere. 

Anyway, I just thought I would introduce my newest piece.  I will be blogging about a few more of my pieces throughout October. 

No comments: