Sunday, January 14, 2018

Large Doll - Part 1

There is an old saying that well begun is half done.  I can't yet say that I am well begun, but at least I have my project started.  I decided to make a large doll.  The size of the doll is based on the size of the head.  In this case I will be using a Styrofoam head from the craft store as a mold for the doll's head.  The head is roughly seven inches (17.74 cm) long by 6 inches (15.25 cm) wide.  I had originally guessed that the doll would be 36 inches  (0.91 meter) now that I have actually started working on the head, it looks like the doll will be closer to 48 inches (1.22 meters).  Until now, most of my work has been in the 12 to 24 inch (30.48 to 60.96 cm).

My plan for creating the head is to cover the head in paper mache'.  After the head has a couple more layers of paper mache' it will be sturdy enough to withstand being taken apart.  Once the head has enough layers on it I will cup open the mask and remove the Styrofoam head. 

From a practical point, it would be less time consuming to leave the underlying Styrofoam in place.  From an artistic perspective it is important to remove the mold.  That way, I am making a head from a mold rather that using someone else's head for the doll.  At this point the head will be just a basic head shape and I will build up the features of the doll on my own. 

Currently, there are two layers of paper mache' on the doll.  I would like to get on  two more layers before taking it apart.  In order to make sure I could remove the Styrofoam head I wrapped the head in plastic wrap.  The first layer of paper strips was just brushed with water to make it adhere to the plastic wrap.  Then a layer of paper strips coated with flour paste was placed over the wet layer.  This should allow the plastic and the head to come loose from the mask easily. 

Once the head is removed I anticipate that the head may not go back together easily.  In an earlier experience with making a mold of a ball, the ball wanted to collapse inward once it was cut in half.  I expect I will have to do some internal bracing.  My first thought on the subject is to tape the head back together and stuff the head with polyester fiber fill.  It may also need a few wooden pieces of bracing to hold it rigid enough to stay together well.  A second thought is that I tape the head back together and fill it with expandable foam.  At any rate, once the head is back together enough for the two pieces of the mold to stay in place it will receive a couple more layers of paper mache'   Then I can start shaping the cheeks, nose and mouth.  Then I will work on the eyes.  I guess I had better get to work.  That alone is a lot of work.

Check back next week for an update on the progress of this doll.

No comments: