Tuesday, January 21, 2020

My projects for 2020

First, complete this project.
If you are a regular reader, you might have noted that I said I would start posting regularly again.  You might have noticed that I did not post the following Sunday.  At least I have an excuse this time other than procrastination.  Last blog post I mentioned that I had recently had surgery on one of my hands and wrists to remove a metal plate and reattach a tendon.  I was so enthused about soon being able to get back into the studio.  Then another setback.  I tripped and fell, injuring my other hand.  At least it was a relatively minor injury.  My hand was swollen, bruised, and cut, but at least it was not broken.  Four days later, my hand is still sore, but at least it is usable.  I feel up to typing at any rate.

She almost looks real from a distance.
Anyway, all that aside, I am still looking forward to getting to work on my projects.  One of my first plans is to finish a life-size doll.  I worked up to a certain point, and lost interest in it. I want to finish it now.   I painted a leotard on her because it just felt wrong to have her hanging around undressed.    Mostly, I just have to dress the figure and attach the wig.  Other than that, I just have to make a few accessories.

The doll is holding up her arm and hand as if she is holding something.  I wanted to give her a some shrunken heads on strings.  Maybe some beads and feathers with them to make them look like some sort of fetish.  I would use skulls, but there are so many projects out there using plastic skulls that it has been done too often.  I thought shrunken heads might be a bit of a novel change.  I will be making the shrunken heads myself rather than using a purchased item.  I will be blogging on those in the coming weeks.

Other than that, I plan on making pumpkins this year.  I'll be making all sorts of pumpkins and Jack O'Lanterns from pâpier  mâché to hypertufa garden ornaments.  As soon as my hands feel up to it I will be working on one made from paper.  Once spring gets here I will be outside casting the hypertufa.  (Here's hoping that my hand that surgery will be up to it by then.)  I have some interesting ideas on how to make various shapes and finishes for the pumpkins.  As my husband said, "It sounds like it is going to be the year of the Pumpkin."

I always like to learn something new, so this year I am learning how to make molds and cast my own pieces.   I will be experimenting with different types of molds.  After a couple of experiments in learning how to make various types of molds, I will be making original pieces and making molds of them. It will be interesting to see how things turn out. 

If I should complete all of that, I have an idea for making a translucent skull lampshade.  I saw the technique for making the lamp shade on a craft show years ago.  It has always been in the back of my mind to try it one of these days.  I thought that a skull light would be an interesting Halloween decoration.  

Hopefully, I will be able to get that much done this year.  They are ambitious projects.I will be blogging about the projects as I go along.  None of the techniques are new, but I would like to think that the insights gained as I go along might help someone else along the creative path.

I have some initial pictures of the shrunken head project, but at the moment my hands are too stiff to try to download them from my camera.  I will post them on my blog post for next week (my plan is to post next Sunday.)  Fingers crossed.  If only I could cross my fingers right now.


No comments: