Monday, June 1, 2020

Life Size Halloween Figure and Goblin Heads


 If you are interested in seeing how the figure was built, you can see it on this blog, by scrolling back to the dates of July 2108 through November 2018.   If you cannot scroll back to it from where you are viewing it, you can  input the following link:   folkartbycaroljones.blogspot.com         The entire build of the figure is there.          

I actually began this project two years ago by making the life-sized figure.  The initial concept was for the doll to be a dancer.  The doll has a wide stance, as if she is just moving into a hip bump dance step.  Her hand was raised because I had originally envisioned her holding either a fan or a scarf.  The more I worked on the project, the less enamored I became with making the doll a dancer, but I also wanted to keep the option open.  The idea evolved more into what would I do if this was a Halloween figure.  (As my husband says, "It's always Halloween here.  He is referring to my constant fascination with making Halloween projects)  I wondered if there might be a way for me to have the doll as a dancer and some type of Halloween figure.  I think that might be accomplished by having changeable costumes.  

From a distance, she almost looks real.
I worked on this doll up until the day of Halloween. The doll was built, but I had no costume for her.  I decided to paint a black leotard on her just so I would be able to get it set out for Halloween.  Then, of course, it rained.  I never even set the doll out.  At that point, I hit burnout from working on the project so extensively that I no longer enjoyed the process.  I decided to set the doll aside until I felt ready to take the project on again.  I spent a year and a half working on other projects.

This year we have all have had to deal with Corona virus.  While we have been in lockdown, I started working on some pâpier mâché Goblin heads.  The heads came out really well.  I decided that maybe this doll should be holding some Goblin heads.  I could picture them hung on a rope.  I started thinking of her as the "Goblin Slayer".  The doll was returned to my project list.

A closer view of the Goblin heads.
At the moment, she still has no costume.  I do not plan on going out shopping for fabric during a pandemic, so the robe will have to wait a bit.  In my mind's eye I am seeing her in a gray (possibly hooded) robe and a few accessories.  I will engineer it with some hook and loop tape so that the robe can be removed. At some point I will also make some type of dance costume.  For the moment, she will have to hang out in her ballet leotard.  I don't think there is any hurry, the general consensus so far is that Halloween trick or treating will not take place this year due to Covid-19.  A local county near us has already announced that the Trunk or Treat event has been canceled.  That will not stop me from decorating for Halloween though.

The PVC armature for this project.
Because I was thinking about this project as having multiple costumes, I decided to make the doll with a normal face.  As most Halloween figures have either ancient witch faces or scary faces, I I thought I could make a mask that I could put on with hook and loop straps that hide under her hair for when I want a different face. I will probably be working on that in the not too distant future.

I haven't blogged about the doll lately, but I thought I would mention that my husband refers to this doll as a "real life Chucky doll.  She has on a number of occasions punched him when he came to close without being wary.  She has also punched one of our friends while his back was turned.  Generally, she does not punch me, but she has banged me on the head a few times.

No comments: