I have put in another three hours on painting the carousel. Painting the carousel has been much more time consuming than I thought it would be. Aside adding a final coat of paint to the top of the carousel platform I gave two coats of gesso to the rims of the top and bottom platforms. The top edge of the platform has received its first coat of gold paint. It needs a second and perhaps a third coat of the 14-carat gold paint in order for it to gleam richly.
Regular readers are probably wondering where all the stars are that I was drawing on the stencil I planned to make. Funny story about that. The stars are now in limbo. I was visiting my mother, and I was telling her my plan to use the stars as a means of making sure the top and bottom platforms to line up with the proper holes. My husband spoke up at that point and said that I did not need to do that. The screws that hold the top platform to the internal support are set in a pattern and the top will only join the support if the screw holes line up. Yes, of course they do, so it begs the question of whether or not I need to put stars on the top.I guess my main concern is that it might make the carousel look too gaudy. I want to keep the focus on the carousel animals. I have decided to hold off on the stars until after the animals are added to the carousel. If it looks as if it needs more embellishments after that, then I have the plan for the stars more or less ready to go. I might need to add some more smaller stars to the pattern for the stencil before I cut it.
I was hoping to have the painting finished before this post, but the spare time to work on it just was not there. It will definitely be finished this week though. I am so slow these days. Everything takes me much longer than I think it should. So, this carousel has been made and painted step by step and inch by inch for however long it takes.
Readers may wonder why I keep changing my mind on things. That really is the way the creative process works. Some people start a project with everything worked out in exact detail of what they want to create. Others, such as I, prefer to have a basic idea of what they want and let the decorative details develop by looking at the piece and asking what wants to be there; letting the space inform me of what it needs. This allows for an artist to follow flow, which I have found to be essential to creating something that has a special feel to it.
One more week of painting will finish off that segment of creating the carousel. Then I can get back to the joy of working on the details of the carousel animals. Making the animals has been the best part of this project and I am so looking forward to making and adding their decorations and painting them. That is the last step before putting the carousel together. It has been a long time coming to this point. So, hang in there with me readers and I will be on to that shortly.
Check back next Monday or Tuesday for the next blog post.

No comments:
Post a Comment