Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Shaman Staff-Part 7- The Wording on Walking Stick is Complete

I've finished wood burning the words of the poetic creation story onto the walking stick.  I ended up tightening the spiral a bit.  That caused the poem to end a few inches higher than I had planned.  This is okay in a way because as I went along I decided that the poem should not end exactly at the bottom of the walking stick.  The reason for this is that walking sticks wear down a little as they are used.  As this art piece is supposed to represent knowledge that the (fictional) culture is trying to preserve over long periods of time, they would not want the information in a spot that was likely to become worn away.  I may add another line to the poem if I can come up with one that works with what is already on the stick.  Or I may decide that this "happy accident" has left me some room for a design that I did not think I was going to have room for on the stick.  I'm giving myself a few days to think about it before I proceed. 

As it is right now, the story on the walking stick reads:
We began as the dust of ancient stars
Crossed time and space.
We took form in this place.
Living always with the hope of a better tomorrow.
And now we are manifest in you.
Here past, present, and future are one.

Older readers may get the joke when I say I had a weird humorous urge to add the works "Burma Shave" at the end.  If you don't get the joke, look up Burma Shave on Wikipedia  Burma Shave

I did not have time to get a new picture today.  I will post one next blog post on Sunday. 

No comments: