Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Casual Santa Doll

Here is another project I made a number of years ago.  This Santa doll was made back in 1996.  I had only been making dolls for a couple of years at that point.  This doll needs a doll stand to stand up, but it is also button jointed so that it can sit and move its arms.  The hair is wool roving.  I feel that this doll has a lot of personality. 

I had made some of these dolls as gifts, and some to sell at a holiday craft sale.  I only sold one at the craft sale.  Everyone thought they were cute, but did not want to pay ten dollars for one.  That is the problem with trying to sell crafts.  Few people have appreciation for the number of hours it took to make the project.  If I had charged minimum wage for the time it took to make the doll, it would have cost considerably more.  Dolls are not a quick project by any means.

Anyway, it was my attempt at a type of doll for a homespun Christmas.  I was trying for Christmas decor that was not all hard plastic and glitter.  Some people like that  ,simple homemade holiday things, but it seems that they might be a minority these days.   








No comments: