Sunday, February 16, 2014

Garden Art Experiment-Gazing Ball-Part 4

Concrete sealer has been added.
Although I have done something with the concrete ball, it does not look any different at the moment.  I did not take a new picture because the change is not visible, at least not unless you look at it very closely.  What I have added was a concrete sealer.  This sealer soaks into the ball and adds yet more waterproofing.  I used Armorcrete, which is a fifteen year interior/exterior sealer.  I let the concrete ball cure for a week before adding the sealer. 

Field Project 2-16-2014
I purchased this product at my one of my local stained glass shops.  It is created specifically for use with concrete and glass mosaics.  It is expensive compared to what you can find at a hardware store.  I have used sealers from both places and had very good results with all of them. 

I've decided to try something different with this ball.  Since I have already made four stained glass or glass gem gazing balls, I decided to paint this one rather than use glass.  I want to see how well a painted and sealed ball will stand up to outside weather.  After the last freeze date, the ball will go outside and see how the painted ball holds up to the weather.  I bring all of my gazing balls inside once the weather starts to freeze.  If any water does find its way into the ball, it will expand when it freezes and could cause the concrete to crack.  So, it will be a couple of months before this one will be ready to go outside.  At least that will give me some time to create a stand for it. 

This garden art/gazing ball experiment was just the first in my quest to find a substrate for a gazing ball.   This experiment was one that most people could do in their homes during the winter month.  There are other ways to make a substrate for the ball.  However, as I move up to different materials, there is an increase in toxicity involved.  My next experiment will have to wait until the weather warms.  The materials require good ventilation and also has a minimum temperature requirement.  It is not something that I can do right now because it would require keeping doors and windows open.  In fact, this is better done outside.  I'll have to wait until I have a day where the temperature remains above 65 degrees Fahrenheit for 24 hours.  The way the weather has been going, it could be a few weeks.  Check back for results of a different way to create the substrate for the gazing ball.

It is Sunday, so that means it is time for the latest field project picture.  It was taken this morning.  The weather was 27 degrees Fahrenheit.  Fifteen hours of rain had erased most of the snow.  There is still some snow in the shady areas.  The field gets fulls sun most of the day, so there is actually more snow in other areas than it appears to be in this picture.






No comments: