Thursday, February 12, 2015

Stylized Painted Box

Last blog post I had written that I wanted to add more pattern and texture to my art work.  I had been working with a Zentangle workbook.  I am really excited to be working with something new.  And of course, I can hardly wait to try to adapt it to my own style.  I like to learn a new method and then see where I can go with it.  For my first project I decided to do a painted wooden box.  I actually needed a small wooden box for keeping a few items.  It seemed like it would be fun to paint the box rather than purchase an already decorated box.  It would give me a chance to put my new skills to work.  Once again I am working on a small project.  This box is 9 inches wide by 6 inches deep by 3.5 inches high. 

I was so excited to get to work on this project that I started painting on it before I took the time to
remove the hardware from the box.  Since I took these photos, I have removed the hardware so that I can paint the rest of the box.  I started with a medallion and added a lotus floral motif.  I made the medallion them by using a compass rather than use somebody's pattern.  I removed the metal corners on the bottom of the box because I thought that in the long run that it would scratch my furniture.  I plan to add felt to the bottom of the box.  At the moment, the top corners are still on the box.  The box is not very expensive and the pieces are flimsy.  They are also nailed in place.  I'm concerned that by removing them they won't be able to be put back in place.  Sometimes it is just better to leave things as they are.  If I damage them while removing them they may not go back in place
well.

I also painted some borders around the floral motif.  I marked them with a ruler and then hand painted them without using any tape.  The lines are not as straight as if I used tape.  I want this box to have a very antique painted look to it.  Straight lines have there place, but sometimes they make things look overly ordered rather than hand painted.  That is about as far as I have gone with that project.

I thought I'd show a page of my work in the Zentangle workbook.  The top two items and the right hand item on the second row (Labeled numbers one, two, and three) are my copies of the Zentangle workbook projects.  The second row left and bottom experiments (Numbered four and five) are me adapting it to my own ideas.

More on the painted box on Sunday.

No comments: