Sunday, April 24, 2016

Jack in the Pulpit

Regular readers know that I have been in a big time crunch for several days.  Sometimes live is just too busy to craft.  I really have been working hard to get everything accomplished so I can get back into my studio.  So far, I have not had time to sit down with the Lamb Soft Sculpture project.  Sewing the lame is going to take a lot of time and concentration.  It is one of those things best done when I have large blocks of time.  In the mean time, I am putting up a photo of another of my early projects.  I hope my readers will enjoy it.

This is one of my very early projects.  I call it Jack in the Pulpit.  It was so early in my crafting days that I was not even documenting projects at that time.  I cannot even remember when I made it.  It was sold at a Folk Art Society of America auction in 2011.  At least I am pretty sure it was 2011.  It could have been 2012.  It is hard to keep up with things after so long.  That is why I started the blog.  So I could keep track of things.

The Jack in the Pulpit is an anthropomorphic figure.  The Jack in the Pulpit flower gets its name because of its distinctive shape.  The flower is pitcher shaped.  The stamens are on a stalk that stand up in the center of the pitcher.  It looks very much like a minister preaching in the pulpit.  The name Jack is attached to it because Jack is an old (archaic) name for a nature spirit.  Therefore, you have Jack in a Pulpit much like you have Jack O'Lantern.

I guess you would have to call this a mixed media sculpture.  The Jack is a doll body made from wire, batting, string, and muslin.  The doll body is covered with  papier mache'.  The hair is glued on embroidery thread.  The flower is made from papier mache' with an armature of a cardboard roll and wire.  It is on a wooden base.  Everything is painted with acrylic paints and sealed with a wooden sealer.

I thought I had posted these photos on the blog once before, but I could not find it if I did.  I wanted to make sure that it was documented.  Who know, maybe one day I will be famous.

No comments: