Thursday, April 14, 2016

Large Johnny Cake Sculpture

As I blogged last post, I have a really busy schedule at the moment.  My crafting time for the next several days will be little to none.  I don't want to leave my readers with no new content, so I am interrupting my Lamb Soft Sculpture project to post about another of my projects done behind the scenes.  I will be blogging about the Lamb project again soon.  In the mean time, I hope that readers will enjoy photos of my other projects.  I have been meaning to put this on the blog sooner, but never got around to it.  I was always busy on some other project.  I am glad to finally find the time to document another piece of my work.


A couple of years ago, I made a miniature carousel from papier mache'.  (View my blog posts from January 15, 2013 through July 17, 2013 to see the entire build.) On the carousel were four Johnny Cake faces.  I had included the Johnny Cakes because years ago my mother had purchased an antique Johnny Cake face that was from a carousel.  I loved that piece of artwork.  It was a reminder of one of my favorite childhood stories.  And, it was from a carousel.  When I was little, my father used to take me up to a shopping center and to an amusement park to ride the carousels.  Hands down, riding a merry-go-round was and still is my favorite ride.

During the build I asked my mother about the sculpture and she said that she no longer had it.  She said that she wished she still had one.  She really enjoyed my Johnny Cake faces.  I decided I would build one for her.  I did.  Then I was in such a rush to get it in the mail so that it would come for her birthday that I forgot to take a photo of the completed face before I mailed it.  So the project did not get put on the blog at the time.  I finally took some photos of it while visiting.  But it still did not get put onto the blog because I was always blogging about one project or another. So many projects
so little time.


The top photo is my large Johnny Cake.  The following photos are the smaller faces that were made for the carousel.  Over the next couple of blog posts I will show the construction techniques I used for making the Johnny Cake face.


If I had one thing to do over on the large Johnny Cake project, I would have used a matte rather than a high gloss sealer.  Okay, well two things, I would also have taken more time on the eye.


My Sunday blog post will be about the construction of the Johnny Cake.  Check back then.

No comments: