Friday, May 20, 2016

Lamb Soft Sculpture - Part 6

No, I haven't gone off the deep end with the updates.  There was a correction that really needed to be made.  The name of the clamp referenced in the last post was a hemostat clamp.  I mistakenly identified it as forceps.  It is not the same, and I did not want someone to be searching for a different type of tool.

Once again I am late getting anything up on the blog.  I have done a quick evaluation on my time usage trying to find why things are so out of order for the last couple of months.  I have been having real trouble getting things to stay on track.  I figured out that in the last two months I have added in about seventeen hours of activities each month, which has generated about four and a half hours of travel time each month as well; about three hours visiting with friends and four hours in attending an informational meeting and a seminar on a couple of different subjects.  This is on top of my normal schedule of events.  Not to mention that I have been on a trip and also had family come to visit.  No wonder I don't have any crafting time. 

Anyway, what little time I have had to craft has been put to good use.  Last blog post I showed the legs had been stuffed.  Now I have the body and head stuffed and the head is attached to the body.  Before attaching the head, I shortened the neck's length by half an inch.  The head still looks a little long to me.  I don't know much (or for that matter, anything) about a sheep's anatomy.  I guess that the neck is actually connected a little lower down.  When I see sheep standing up and looking forward it seems that the sheep's neck is scrunched up next to the shoulders. I think I will have to relocate the lamb's neck or at least make the neck a little shorter.  (Either that, or turn this project into a pony.)  I really would rather it was a lamb, so I guess I will be doing some more work on the neck. 

A sheep has a lot of wool that makes it look much more solid than it is.  My added wool is not likely to be on as thickly as it is on an actual sheep.  Therefore, the body of the sheep was built larger to account for some of the wool.  This is why the lamb's body looks disproportionately large right now.  Once all the wool is in place it will look more like a lamb.

The lamb will not look like this when it is finished.  This project is still in the first stages.  The legs will soon be attached.  Then there will be some additional fabric and stuffing to fill in around the joints of the shoulders and withers.  So there is still a lot to be done.  One step at a time.  Check back for progress on the lamb. 

No comments: