Sunday, November 20, 2016

Update - Snowflake Quilt

Today I have just a quick update on my snowflake quilt.  I have completed embroidering all the large snowflakes.  I have made the quilt sandwich and created the quilt using a technique called "birthing".  This means you put the layers together by putting the batting on the bottom, then the quilt top and bottom down wrong side out.  Then you sew all the layers together around the perimeter leaving an opening.  You reach through the opening and put the quilt through it so that the top and bottom layers are on the outside and the batting is in the middle.

Once I turned the quilt right side out, I started binding the layers together by the tying method.  But of course, I did not want to just have strings with knots tied in them all over the quilt.  I decided to do something different.  I "tied' the layers together by embroidering small snowflakes and tying the knot on the back of the layers.  The snowflakes are just small lines rather than fully shaped snowflakes.  They will be all around the perimeter of the quilt and in between each large snowflake.  At this point I have completed about a third of the quilt.

This is the first time I have used this method for making a quilt.  What I am finding is that the quilt does not lay as flat as if a traditional quilt binding is used.   The tying method also leaves the quilt a little looser than I would like it to be.  I may do some additional quilting on the project.

No comments: