Sunday, November 5, 2017

Folk Art Needle Keepers for Holiday Gifts

I completed the needle keepers that I was making for holiday gifts.  I have blogged about them earlier in the process, but at that time I did not have all of the designs complete.  I have made needle keepers in the shapes of fruit, which is a folk art theme.  There are apples, pears, oranges and pomegranates.  I made multiple needle keepers in each design.  I saw these idea in a quilting magazine years ago.  They were so cute that I knew that I would make them sooner or later. 

These simple fruit designs are just one idea for
needle keepers.  It would be fairly easy to make
them in any shape by tracing the outline of a
picture and adding a few simple lines.  For example: could make needle keepers in the shape of dogs, cats or birds for animal lovers.   With just a few lines you can create a stylized representation of just about any object.  If you don't have a picture of something in the size that you need, use a copier to adjust the size.

It was a fun project, but as with many hand made projects, they took a good deal of time.  I'm glad I started on them this summer because I could make them without feeling rushed.  The time is not really an issue if you are only making one of them, but I was making five of each pattern.  Most will be given out as gifts.  I know many people who sew.

This project is not exactly what I would call inexpensive.  I used 100% Merino wool felt.  The weight and texture is much heavier than the craft felt seen in most stores.  Also, I had to order the felt online.  The fabric stores where I live did not carry it and what wool they did have were in shades of brown and gray; not exactly what I had in mind for this project.  When ordering, there was a half yard (45.72 centimeter) minimum.  I have a fair amount of the wool left over, but that may be a good thing.  I saw another felt project that uses many of those colors.  I may have next year's hand made gift project picked out already.

 This morning is a cool autumn morning.  The trees have finally started to turn into shades of orange, red, and gold.  I thought I would include a picture from the yard.  It is a sight that I don't want to forget.  It won't be long before the leaves are all down and the yard looks bare. 

 

No comments: