Monday, August 10, 2026

More on Carousel Painting - Part 48

 I was setting up the carousel this morning to take a picture for the blog when I realized that I had not painted the gold rim on the base that holds the rotating platform.  I also noticed that the floor that the animals will be on needed some touch ups.  I had painted it while it was upside down in order to keep it off the plastic I was using as a drop cloth while painting it.  When I turned it over the edge that was underneath did not get as much coverage as I would like.

So, it looks like at least another day or two of painting before this is finished.  I wish I had more time to work on it, but this is a hobby and the rest of life has more claims to my time.  I was particularly disappointed because I had planned to start getting out the stuff and starting to make the paper clay for the animal's decorations.  Barring an emergency, I will be starting on it within a week.  

The wooden cut out of a witch and cauldron tacked up on the wall is my inspiration for my next Halloween piece.  I always like to keep another project in mind while finishing up a project.  Having another project lined up helps keep me motivated when a project I am working on is dragging.  I need to finish it so I can get on to the next one.

I find that when I complete a project that I first experience the glow of excitement that comes with successfully completing something.  That is followed by a letdown as I see how much better I could have made the project.  While viewers of a project tend to look at the whole thing at once, I look at the project inch by inch and see all the things I might have been able to do differently.  Once I have gone beyond those feelings, I sometimes have a sense of emptiness, as if the muse has gone and I am alone.  (Actually, muse is a very old term used for an inspirational spirit that is motivating a male, the word damon < yes, spelled with an a > is used for an inspirational spirit motivating a female, but not as many people are familiar with that term.)  I have in the past experienced this feeling of inspiration having left, and it is actually emotionally painful.  You worry that inspiration may never come again.  I keep some future project in mind just so that I have something to focus on so I will not have to feel as if I have no ideas about what to do next.  I may not even start with that project if another idea pops up, but at least I have something to keep ideas churning.  

Anyway, I am looking forward to finally finishing this part of the project and getting on to making the animals saddles, blankets, and bridles.  I hope to be blogging about making the paper clay.  Check back next week on Monday or Tuesday for the next blog post.  



No comments: