Friday, January 13, 2012

Further Comments on Foil Tape and Gazing Balls

I'd like to comment further on using the foil tape when making a stained glass mosaic gazing ball.  The foil plumbers tape is very sticky.  It holds well on the ball, and the silicone glue sticks to it well.  There are two different ways I place the tape on the balls.  Which method I use depends on what type of glass I am using. 

If I am using transparent or translucent glass I will lay the tape out in strips about three to four inches long.  Butt each strip up to each other as smoothly as possible, and do the same on the strips that are side by side.  This will make a very even base for your glass.  The grouting goes a little more smoothly with this method.

If I am going to be using iridescent glass, I will overlap the seams of the tape slightly at the seams.  The slightly raised areas at the seams will create a slight tilt when you glue the glass to them.  This helps the light strike the glass at slightly different angles and creates many sparkles of color from the iridescent glass.  It is a little harder to grout, as care must be take to make sure that any upraised edges of the glass are covered.  The ball may not be as smooth, and should be handled with care. 

Regardless of which method I use, when I put the plumbers foil tape on the ball, I use a small piece of dowel to rub the tape and make sure that there is firm adherence to the ball. 

Either taping method works well to reflect the light back up through the glass to give your mosaic gazing ball beautiful illumination.

No comments: