Monday, January 9, 2012

Update and Tip of the Day.

The new year is getting off to a good start.  I have been sketching ideas for the diorama panels for my paper mache sculpture of the devil and skeleton riding in a car.  I'm still debating whether to make them of wood or do it all of paper mache.  I have not yet settled on a final design.

I have two different ideas.  The first is to do a Halloween design of a town with the devil and skeleton cruising. This concept carries a lot of nostalgia for me because I used to live in a beach town.  Cruising the strip was the thing to do! The other is a scene of a cemetery on one side and an increasingly dismal scene of downed and burning trees with the road leading to the gate to Hell.  I'm tending towards the more light hearted Halloween scene, although the other scene would make for a stronger Folk Art type piece.

Tip of the Day:  Discovering your type of Folk Art.

When people begin working with Folk Art, it may take a while to develop your own style.  Explore different types of traditional folk art and find out what appeals to you.  Museums, books, magazines, and on-line sites are all good resources for folk art.  Practice working with traditional materials. Once you have a grasp of traditional folk arts, begin to see how you can incorporate these styles into some new way to make your own personal statement.  There is a good reason for keeping traditional art styles alive, but it is equally important that your work is a fresh take on the tradition.

No comments: