Thursday, April 26, 2012

Folk Art Walking Stick-Photos

Ivy Leaf and Vine Walking Stick
Today I attempted to photograph one of the walking sticks I had made.  I was really having a time of it.  If I was far enough back to capture the whole stick I lost the detail.  Also, I learned I had very few places in the house where I could place the stick upright that did not require moving furniture or art work.  After becoming thoroughly annoyed with my photo attempts, I decided that I would place the stick on the floor take a picture of it and start shooting close ups of the detail.  I was so focused on the detail of the stick that I was forgetting to check what else might be in the frame of the picture, so a lot of the photos required some serious cropping after the fact.  I guess I was not doing very well on the photos today. 

I put a cane tip on my walking stick for indoor use.  The cane tip can be removed for outdoor walking.  I have used a walking stick while hiking for years.  I had to use a cane for a while after an injury, and I must say I would rather use a walking stick any day. A walking stick helps you stand upright.  A cane makes you lean slightly to one side and forward and places a lot of weight on your hand and wrist.

This walking stick is made from a Locust sapling, a very strong hardwood.  The design was wood  burned into the stick and then painted.  Locust wood is very white, so I added an antiquing stain to the wood once it was painted to pick up the wood grain.  The stick was sealed with varnish after painting.

No comments: