Sunday, October 27, 2013

Shaman Staff Walking Stick-Part 12

I'm finally getting back to working on the walking stick.  Between traveling, visits with friends and family, and getting ready for a Halloween party.  I feel as if I have been away from this project for a year.  I have added a lot more images to the stick.  Monday I will be outside wood burning again.  It feels great to be back at work on the walking stick.  I get a bit irritable when I am away from my projects for too long. 

When I last blogged on the walking stick I had added the images of a turtle and a whale.  Since then, I have added the image of a harpoon, in keeping with my original plan that the stick would also show how images of how to catch or hunt the animals.  (See earlier posts on the walking stick for an explanation of my intentions for this stick.)  I have added images of a salamander, frog, snake, beetle, bee, bird, and a deer.  The images are sized to fit the space, and are not in proportion to each other.  The intention is to show each creature, not to be an explanation of the size of the animal.  What I have on the stick should keep me busy wood burning for a couple of days.  The transferred images are a little hard to see in pictures, but I wanted to get a couple of pictures up for today's blog.


Once I had all the pictures transferred to the walking stick, I realized that the all of the creatures were going in the same direction except for one.  The turtle was going the other way.  I decided to erase the turtle and change it to going in the same direction as everything else.  The point of the harpoon is also opposite, but it is pointing at the whale so at least that makes some sense. I suppose that all in all it did not make any difference which direction the turtle was facing, but it just seemed like a noticeable anomaly.  That is the good thing about my method of transferring images onto the stick.  They won't smear off, but can easily be erased off.  If there is any residue after the erasure, I can go back and lightly sand the area and that will be the end of it.

Now I am in a race against time.  Cooler weather is starting to set in.  The mornings are chilly, so I am shifting my outside work time from first thing in the morning to mid-morning or early afternoon.  Fortunately, it has been staying warmer later into the year, but it has also been know to snow here as early as November.  When I finish wood burning all the images I have on the stick now, I will still have about one third of the stick left to embellish.  I have not finished adding the mammals.  Once they are done, I will be adding human figures. 

Well, that is about it for now.  Wednesday's blog post will be on Halloween.  Next Sunday's post will show the progress on the walking stick.

No comments: