Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama - Part 2

Regular readers know that the start of a new project is slow.  Ideas must be developed.  Materials must be gathered.  I also clean my studio (a.k.a. the small bedroom) before I begin each project.  Generally by the time I complete a project, the place looks like a disaster hit it.  Leftover materials from the earlier project are covering my work area.  Since my crafting time is limited, I end up working until until the last second and there is no time left to put things away.  So that is my project for today.  To clean the studio so I can begin again.

I've had another synchronicity happen with this project.  This is the second one.  While making sketches of the pieces of the diorama, I drew in a dilapidated house.  Maybe it is a haunted house, who knows at this point.  Anyway, my thoughts ran to how to make a house with a sagging roof and peeling paint.  I only made those sketches a couple of days before posting them and had not thought of it further since then.  Then yesterday, my husband out of the blue shows me an article from a Model Railroad magazine on how to make a dilapidated building with a sagging roof and peeling paint.  This is completely weird because 1. I had not even discussed my new diorama with him yet because I am so early in the process; and 2.  In the decades that we have been together, I have never known him to show any interest in model trains.  I have never seen him look at a model railroad magazine.  I can tell that this is a story that wants to be told, because the universe just seems to be making the information available to me with very little effort on my part.

The two photos above have dilapidated houses in them.  Once is even labeled "haunted house.  The lower sketch was just kicking around ideas of what might go into the diorama.  The upper photo shows the sketches are beginning to tell a story.  Before they days of computers, motion picture plots and advertisement campaigns were developed with the use of story boards that were drawn by artists.  I suppose I could use an art program and sketch on the computer, but I don't find it nearly as satisfying as taking a pencil in hand and drawing on paper.



For readers that are following the Orphan Train story that was in the first post, I will be posting more on that story on Sunday.  Today must be a quick post because I have meetings this morning.  I would rather not try to rush through and leave that story in a muddle.

No comments: