Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama - Part 14- Photos Road Art

It has been sort of a slow week this week for getting anything done, but there has been progress on the house for the diorama.  I repaired the section on the right hand window where it overlapped the window too much.  It is not perfect, but at least good enough.  When I add the trim pieces it should hide the imperfections.

Clapboards added to upper level.
So how did I remove and replace that section of the clapboards around the window?  Well, I took an itty bitty pry bar...... Well, only sort of.  I used a flat edged file from my craft set and pried it loose.  Regular readers may recall that I had worried that it could be a problem that I painted the house black inside and out before starting.  Well, instead of being a problem, painting it really saved the day.  The clapboards stuck on there well enough that they were not falling off.  When I pried the wooden pieces off, they took that layer of paint but left the rest of the foam core board pretty much intact.  So it was really a matter of just prying off the boards and replacing them with new pieces that fit a little better.  Sometimes the thing you think might be a problem turns out to be exactly what you need.  That is why I try not to fret too much about a mistake in art.  It is an opportunity to try something unexpected.

King Kong road art.
Clapboards have been added to the sides of the upper section on both sides.  A couple of clapboards went on the front also.  At that point, I was out of painted craft sticks so I had to spend some time making some more.  I thought I had made enough originally, but so many broke as I was trying to cut them down to size that I came up short on craft sticks.  I have painted a good many more, and I hope that will be enough to complete the clapboards on the house without having to paint more.  With any luck, I will have the clapboards completed on the house this week.

On another subject, I had said I would post a picture of some roadside art I took on my last trip.  This is a big fiberglass statue of King Kong.  It was in front of a themed diner.  (The theme only marginally has anything to do with the statue.  More on that in another post.)  I wish I had a better picture of it, but the statue was very close to a busy road.  I could not step out any further without risking getting run down.  At that time of day, the sun was at a bad angle, so it is not the best shot.  It is what it is.  Along the way I also spotted a T-Rex head and there is a massive statue in Beuna Vista that I missed getting a shot of because I did not have the camera out at the time.  Maybe I will get a picture of that next time I am through.  There are only so many times that my husband is willing to stop on a trip so I can take a picture. 

Check back on Sunday for more progress on the diorama.

No comments: