Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama - Part 18 - Miniature Field Stone Foundation

Stone panels added to the house.
I have attached the "field stone" foundation to the small model house.  I used hot glue to attach the foam core panels to the base of the house.  It actually went together quite easily.  Once the panels were in place, a few bits of gravel were hot glued over the exposed ends of the panels.  Paint was applied over the hot glue to cover the glue and suggest the mortar.

Close up of the foundation.
Once the panels were on the house, the mortar looked a little too light against the color of the faded paint on the house.  I used a wash of black paint and water to darken the rocks and mortar to make it look older.  Some of the dark wash settled into the cracks, creating shadowed areas. 

Of course, now the house needs some steps to get to the front door.  The steps will be added after the house is glued to the base of the diorama.  I have more work to do on the house before that happens.  Next I will be working on the tin roof.  Once the roof is on, then the house will be glued to the base and it will be on to another part of the project. 

Gravel glued to panels and painted.
I have already started experimenting on how to make the tin roof.  I know what I want it to look like, but I have to figure out how to manipulate the material to make it look that way.  An old neglected house like this would not have a shiny tin roof.  I want it to look like an old tin roof.  I'll post the experiments in the next blog post or so.  Once I get the look figured out it should not take long to get the roof onto the house.

No comments: