Sunday, May 10, 2015

Anthropomorphic Halloween Figure Completed


The figure is complete, although it did not turn out to be the figure I intended.  Once I started, it became plain that my plan to have this doll move its arms and legs when a string was pulled was not going to come off.  Rather than ripping the shoulders off the figure and making a different kind of joint I decided to save that idea and use it on another figure.  I decided to turn this figure into a dangle doll.  A dangle doll is another type of doll that was around when I was a kid.  The figure hangs from a stick.  When you walk around carrying the doll on the stick, the arms and legs sway as you  move around.  The movement gives a sense of animation, as if the doll were alive and moving.  As I've said before, children were easily
amused when I was a kid.


I put this doll on a stand that I purchased from a thrift store.  A slight breeze or someone walking by can create enough vibration to make the doll move its arms and legs.  It sometimes feels kind of strange to walk by and catch movement out of the corner of your eye.  When I put this figure out at Halloween I expect it to have a lot of spook potential.

Anthropomorphic figures are very popular decorations are very popular Halloween decorations.  Some are created as a single vegetable with arms and legs.  Others are a conglomeration of vegetables that have seemingly come together to take on a humanoid form.  This figure has a large pumpkin for a torso, with small Jack O'lanterns for for the shoulders and another Jack O'lantern for the head.  Rather than using vegetable representations for the arms and legs I painted the limbs to look like leafy vines.

I think at this point I am ready to say that this project is complete.  It could be further embellished to add some vines and leaves coming off the head of the figure.  I am not sure how much that would add to the project though.  I am eager to get on to a new project.

Check back on Thursday for more on the new project.  It is time for something different.



No comments: