Thursday, May 14, 2015

Something New

I have recently completed two projects: a quilt and a paper mache' Halloween project.  I don't like it when all of projects end at the same time.  It leaves me feeling a bit unfocused.  It is easier to start a second project if there is another ongoing.  Otherwise, it feels as if I am staring at a blank canvas and I have no idea what belongs there.  It feels like my creativity decided to take a break.  Sometimes that is necessary.  Every once in a while it is time to take a break.

I want to start working on another walking stick.  I really enjoyed working on the last one.  I found that I liked wood burning.  I wood burned a poem and pictographs on the walking stick.  I would like to try another stick with my original poetry and have sat down to come up with a poem.  I thought I would make it something similar to the last theme, but at this point I have not been able to write a suitable poem.  I may have to find a different theme.  The inspiration is just not there at this moment.  I remind myself that I stared at the last stick for decades before coming up with the idea for that particular theme.  It was a special stick.  The new walking stick may not be as special as the last one.  It may only have a pattern on it rather than a poem.  At any rate, I will work with it for a little while longer before beginning the wood burning. 

People may think that staring at a blank walking stick is strange.  I would liken it to something Michelangelo had said.  I'm paraphrasing, but it was once said that the figure was in the stone and the artist just had to release what was there.  Taking time to understand what wants to come out allows the artist to bring forth something special.  Sometimes images and ideas seem to appear out of the blue if you can be still and allow the ideas to come through.

At the beginning of the year I had listed some goals for the year.  One of the goals was to do some work with Mandalas.  My first trial was a spectacular failure.  I had an idea that if I used a platter as a mold that I could make some paper mache' platters that had Mandalas painted on them.  That did not work out.  I tried two methods of laying paper mache' over the mold.   In both instances the paper curled upwards and would not stick to the mold.  At that point I became frustrated with it and decided to let the project sit for a while until I was ready to tackle it again. 

I guess I am at that point that I am ready to go back to the Mandala project.  Even if they don't get cast onto a platter shape I can still start working on the patterns.    I feel drawn to it, even though beginning is somewhat intimidating.  I started working with a workbook on drawing Mandalas.  It suggests using black drawing paper.  No matter the color of the paper, staring at a blank page is always difficult.  The only way to begin is to make a mark and see what happens.  I'll show you my drawings as they progress. 

I know that once I get started I will find a direction and get going.  It is just getting started that is hard.  I will show you a photo of the start of the new projects on Sunday.


No comments: