Sunday, May 3, 2015

Abstract Art Quilt


I've completed another quilt.  This one is not so much a pattern as it is abstract art.  I saw a scrap quilt in a quilt magazine and I like the concept.  The name of the quilt in the magazine was No Scrap Left Unturned.  I know the person who was created the idea was named Nancy, but I cannot remember her last name.  I think she might be the host of the show Sewing with Nancy.  However, I did not make the quilt until a few years after I saw the quilt in the magazine, so I could be completely off on that.  At any rate, I did not copy the quilt exactly, I just used the idea of how the strips were pieced by sewing on geometric shapes.  Basically you use bits of scrap material to sew geometric patterns onto strip pieces.  The bits of scrap are folded into triangles, rectangles, or trapezoids and placed on various locations on the strip of fabric.  Those strips are sewn to a plain strip to form rows of alternating patterned pieces and plain pieces.  The rows are sewn together to form stripes lengthwise.


I decided that the strips would be pieced completely randomly.    I'd pull a piece out of a bag and sew it to the plain strip.  As the strips were pieced together it began to from small patches of color in one spot or another, but I think that it came out well.  You could spend all day looking at the different colors and patterns on the pieces.

(Please scroll down for more text.  The blog platform is giving me a problem with how to place the pictures and text today.)

The quilt is only a large twin size.  For these photos I laid it across a larger bed.  I wish it could have been larger, but even at this size it took a long time to make this quilt.  I would sit and sew a few blocks each night while we sat down to watch television.  I also hand quilted this piece.  I have so much going on during the day that my only quilting time is in the evening.  Quilting while watching television turns what is generally unproductive time into something useful.

It has only been a few days, but I am already missing having something to quilt.  I am planning my next quilt.  I expect that the new quilt will have a lot of hand embroidery on the piece as well as being hand pieced and quilted.  I may also have some applique on it as well, but I don't expect that I will try to do needle turn applique.  It will be a great while to complete it as it is.  I haven't even started shopping for material yet.  One of these days I will post a picture of the new quilt. 

I have also been working on my anthropomorphic Halloween figure.  I decided that I did not like the head I had made and made another one from papier mache'.  I was just about ready to start painting when I realized that I had neglected to add a piece to hand the figure.  I will have new photos on Thursday.  Progress is being made, it is just that Spring has begun and our activities have increased.  I don't have as much time to work on my projects.





No comments: