Sunday, March 10, 2019

Oak Leaf Quilt Blocks

Last week I blogged about starting on the Oak Leaf Quilt.  I mentioned the discrepancies in the directions and that I would have to experiment with the block size to see what worked for me.  I tried a couple of block sizes and finally decided that the block size would be 13.5 inches by 6 inches.  (34.9 cm by 15.24 cm).   This gave me a long narrow block that worked well with the oak leaf shapes.

The first photo shows the block background with the leaf silhouette shape on it.  The silhouette has to be appliqued to the background before the block is sewn together.  This is the A block.  The B block will be a different hue of green and neutral.  At this point, I am working on the A block and have not cut out the B block.  It might be a while before I start working on the other block.  The needle turn applique takes a while.

The second photo shows the leaf cutouts that remain once the silhouette is cut.  They will be sewn together to make a leaf shape.  One leaf shape seems slightly larger than the other.  This is due to pattern discrepancies and cutting issues.  That can be addressed by placing one half on top of the other and cutting down the larger piece to fit with the smaller leaf part.  These leaves will be appliqued to the top of the quilt at various points. 

I really haven't decided on the final size of the quilt.  If I like the look of it as the blocks are joined, it might be a full size quilt.  If I think that the A block and the B block don't look as well together as I thought, I may split it into two or three lap quilts as Christmas gifts.  Time will tell.

This is going to be another long term project.  I will be blogging about another project next week.  Check back on Sunday for an update on the life size doll project.

No comments: