Sunday, March 31, 2019

Update on Current Projects

Today is just going to be a brief update on my projects.  Sometimes progress is slow, but at least something is moving along.  Each of the three current projects has something to report.

The denim rug project has the most work on it.  Readers have been following the project for a while.  I have over 350 feet of denim sewn into strips.  This is the amount of strips I need for the length of the rug.  Strips were sewn into eight foot lengths (2.44 meters).  (Scroll back through a few posts for details on how the strips were sewn for this project.) To keep the strips from becoming tangled and for ease of storage, I rolled each eight foot strip into a coil.  Pretty soon the coils were stacking up all over the place.  I found that the coils fit nicely into a large Quaker Oatmeal container.  The rest I stacked into a shoe box.   

I have started cutting 2 inch wide (5.08 cm.) for the cross pieces for the denim rug.  I am not exactly sure just how long they need to be.  The rug is only going to be slightly over two feet wide (0.61 meter).  However, the strip will need to be longer as it as woven over and under the lengthwise strands.  Once I have a number of strips cut I will weave a couple of strips to get a feel for just how long they need to be.  I estimate that I will need at least 144 cross strips to complete the project.

The Oak Leaf Quilt is coming along nicely.  The applique is complete on the first row of rectangles.  Applique is half way complete on the second row of the A block.  The applique for the B block has been pieced and all the B blocks have been marked for hand piecing.  Perhaps that does not mean a lot to non-quilters, but the project really is moving along.  I am waiting for the quilt top to be completed before I post a picture. 

The life size doll is becoming the bane of my existence.  I cannot find a dress for this doll.  I have pretty much abandoned the idea of making this doll into a dancer.  It is just too expensive.  I have started to turn my thoughts into how to change this into a Halloween doll.  Tea dyed fabric and cheesecloth are not nearly as expensive to work with as satin and laces.    

No comments: