Friday, February 17, 2012

Diorama Update 2/17/12 and Tip of the Day

I am still putting paper mache on the buildings for the folk art diorama.  This is the tedious part of the project.  The area has to dry before I can turn it over to add more paper mache to the other side.  I'm putting three layers on each side.  I don't have time to work on it every day, so that adds to the length of time it takes to get through this section of the project  It can be frustrating when I walk by the project and don't have a place in my schedule to sit down with it. Another two hours of project time should have the paper mache layers finished.

Tip of the Day:  When working with an armature for a paper mache project, it may be hard to keep track of which side is the front and which side is the back.  Sometimes it will not matter.  Other times, for example, due to minute cutting errors, it might be necessary to determine which side you want to be the front.  To keep track of which side is which, I will apply a small piece of colored construction paper to the back and bottom of the armature while the paper mache is moist.  The brightly colored material will tell me at a glance which side I have facing me.  With each layer of paper mache, I will add a new piece of colored paper.  I have found that newspapers tend to have a lot of red color in their advertisements, so when using newspaper strips it will be easier to spot if you use a green or blue construction paper.

No comments: