Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Update and Tip of the Day

I've finished the paper mache layers on the diorama pieces.  The weather was nice and I was able to get outside and sand all the pieces also.  I plan to get a layer of gesso on the pieces today.  It feels like I am finally making some progress.  Next update I will have pictures of the project.

Tip of the day:  Powdered resin glue can be added to the flour and water paste to make the paper mache harder.  I have also used diluted white PVA glue (like Elmers) to the mix to harden a project.  These additives do make the material more durable, but it also adds to the difficulty of the sanding the project.  The hardened projects are so tough that I use a palm sander to smooth the project. I only hand sand smaller delicate items or tight corners.

Always wear a dust mask when sanding paper mache.

No comments: