Thursday, February 23, 2012

More Jack Frost Art Doll Photos

I said in my last blog post that I would include a couple more pictures of my Jack Frost art doll.  I added a profile view so you could see how his cape flows behind him.  I also added a close up view of his skis.

The cloak was made with floral wire sewn between two layers of batting to hold it out as if is being blown by the wind.  All the knots from the beading threads are pulled down into the batting so none of them show.

The skis were made with paper mache over a foil armature.  After that I covered the skis with bits of cut up CDs that were glued on like mosaic tiles.  There is no grout, the pieces are just laid end to end. 

Most people consider the skis the best part of the doll.  It is the most interesting feature.  They sparkle and shimmer and draw the attention immediately.

I had originally planned to use a different covering for the skis: small clear plastic pellets used for weighting stuffed animal projects.  Their small square shape made them look like ice cubes.  However, they did not stick well with the glues I had on hand, and tended to come off easily.  I decided that it was a safety issue and changed to the CD pieces which glued down well.  In the long run I am satisfied with the way things turned out.

No comments: