Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Beginning a New Folk Art Project

Dear Readers,

I am sorry that it has taken several days to make a new blog post.  I just wanted to let my readers know that I will be back to blogging regularly in just a few days.  Due to the severe storms that hit the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States, I have been without electricity since June 30th.  Power is not expected to be restored until somewhere between July 8th and 10th.  I have started a new folk art project but the pictures are on a different computer and I don't have access to them at this time.  Fortunately, we were not injured and our home was not damaged during the severe storms and the two tornadoes that came through the area.   It is just a matter of waiting for the electricity to be restored.

I thought I'd blog about the beginnings of the project even though I cannot post photos.  I will be making an almost life size folk art hog.  This project got started because I was sitting around a campfire with some friends.  Our friends had other friends that had been to Burning Man.  (If you don't know about Burning Man,  do a web search.  You will be amazed.)  My husband and I have not been to Burning Man, but we have been to several regional burns.  The conversation turned to the concept of creating art and burning it at one of the events.  We were explaining that the concept of burning the art was supposed to be experiential and that you either had to be there to see the art or never have the opportunity to see it. 

Well, one thing led to another and our friends proposed that we have a small burn.  Since we only have a decent size fire pit to burn in, we set the size for our projects somewhat smaller than what you would see at a real event.  And the event is only open to the people who own the properties and personal friends.  It is not open to the public.  So that is how this all got started.

Because of associations with the origins and name of the property we will be doing the burn on, I decided that a life size hog made of paper mache would be in order.  So that is where I started.  I will be documenting the building of this art project on the blog from start to finish.  I also added some further challenges to the project which I will tell you about on my next post. 

No comments: