Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Folk Art Pig-Armature Part 6-Photos

I am still working on the armature for my folk art pit.  Last blog post I left off at the ring that supports the highest part of the skull and neck.  From that point, I created a series of rings of descending size.  These were made and reinforced in the same manner as I described in the section about the first ring.  Each ring was secured to the previous ring with masking tape. (Just a reminder: the challenge was to create this piece without any wire or metal because it is a burner project and I don't want any parts or pieces left behind.  If you are a new reader and don't know about the burner project part, check back to the first post on the folk art pig for the explanation.)

Once the rings were taped into place I added strips of poster board running the length of the rings.  The poster board strips were secured by masking tape at the snout and along the forehead and shoulders.  When all the strips were in place, I used more strips woven in crosswise to give a firm support to the folk art pig's head.  The face was fully woven top and bottom to form a firm support for the paper mache layers.

Underside of the armature.
Some people may wonder why I did not just make a cone to support the face.  I considered it, but I did not thing it would look right in the long run.  A pig's face is not a cone except at the snout.  The rest of the face is a series of planes.  The strips will rest on the rings as the paper layers are added giving a more natural shape to the face.  At this point the snout is left open.  I need to get a few layers of paper on before I start working on the detail.

I'm guessing at this point a lot of people are wondering if this is going to work out.  I just want to remind people that this is only the foundation for what is to come.  The detail is what makes the difference. I have to have a firm foundation before I can get on to the rest of it.  Keep checking back.  Once the foundation is complete the
rest will go very quickly.

This part of the armature shown today forms the top of the head.  Next post I will show how I made the lower jaw.  It is shaped in a different manner from the top of the head.

No comments: