Sunday, July 29, 2012

Folk Art Pig-Part 9-Tip of the Day-Photos


Square jaw needs correcting.  Photo 1.

Today I am blogging about a repair I needed to make to my folk art pig.  When making the lower jaw for the pig I did not have the shape of the jaw quite right when I made the armature.  The cardboard armature should have been more rounded.  As I added more layers of paper maché to the jaw, it exaggerated the original error.  The edge of the jaw developed some very square edges.  I finally decided I just could not live with it.  So I took the time to make the correction.

Layers of paper mache. Photo 2.
 
I used a craft knife to cut the square edges back to a point where I could reshape the area.  I cut on both the right and left sides of the jaw.  The second photo shows one of the holes.  It also gives you a cross section view of how many layers of paper maché have been used to create the jaw. 

Once I had the hole smoothed out, I placed a scrap of poster board up to the whole and traced around the edge.  Next I cut out the tracing, leaving a small border. (Photo 3)

The cardboard was taped over the hole with masking tape.  (Photo 4)  After that I covered the area with paper maché. 

Repair patch. Photo 3.

Taped patch.  Photo 4.
Since I had a small batch of paper maché mixed up, I decided to begin work on the eyes.  The eye ball is a one inch diameter Styrofoam ball cut in half and covered with paper maché.   The eye ball by itself makes me think of an alligator’s eyes.  (Photo 5) The eyes don’t start to take shape until some more structure is added.  I built up the brow ridge and the cheek bone beneath the eye with small bits of rolled up newsprint and tape.  (Photo 6)  At the point photo 6 was taken, there were more layers of tap on the pig’s right eye (his right) than on the left.  Building up the layers is a process and I wanted to show how a single layer can make a difference.   In later layers I will add they eye lid.  At the moment the pig looks a little googlie eyed, but that is really just an optical illusion created by variations in the darkness of the news print.  The eye balls are actually aligned.  At the moment, the pig seems a little fierce but additional work on the eye will make his expression a little more complacent.  I’ll post more pictures of the eye as things go along.

I don’t think the pig will actually look like a pig until it gets ears and a tail.  However they will be the last items added as they are the most fragile pieces.

Next blog, I will be adding legs to the folk art pig.
Styrofoam ball eyes. Photo 5.

Tip of the Day:  Layers of Paper Maché

When laying down layers of paper maché it is usually best to add two layers then allow it to dry completely before adding more layers.  Two layers will usually dry completely overnight.  You can add more layers, but it will take longer to dry.  If too many layers are added at one time, there is a possibility that mold can set in before the layers are dry.  Mold will destroy a paper maché piece.  Once mold gets started it will continue to eat its way through multiple layers of paper.  The color of the mold can bleed through paint.
Built up ridges. Photo 6.

There is some hope of salvaging a piece that has mold growing on it.  One method would be to cut out the moldy piece and replace it with new paper maché.  At times starting with completely new paper maché is really not feasible.  I have treated a moldy area by wiping the mold off the area and scraping off the top layer or two. (Make sure to wear gloves and mask while doing this!)  Then I saturated the layers with 91% rubbing alcohol.  Next I set the item in front of a fan and left it with the fan blowing on it until the area was completely dry.  It worked.  I did not have to scrap the item and start over.  All in all, it is better to add only a layer or two at the most in one sitting and to let it dry than to try to deal with the mold afterwards.  


No comments: