Sunday, July 15, 2012

Folk Art Pig-Armature Part 5-Photos-Tip of the Day

In my last blog post I left off with the beginnings of the bracing for the head.  The first photo is a side view of the blocking.  It is made from stacked pieces of corrugated cardboard held together with masking tape. I did the blocking in sections so I could add on to it until I felt the height looked right.

The second photo is a ring of poster board that will be mounted on the blocking.  I experimented with the size of the ring until it had a nice proportion to the body.  Once the size was determined, I gave the outer edge of the ring some extra support with strips of poster board.  Then I covered the entire ring with masking tape.  This ring will form the highest point of the skull and the neck of the folk art pig.

After the ring was taped in place, I began adding poster board strips and taping them to the back.  Once those strips were taped I added more strips cross wise in a basket weave to form the neck.  This area needs to be very strong because it will be the main support for the rest of the head.

Tip of the Day: Using the Right Type of Glue.

You need to have the right type of glue for the job at hand.  Read the recommended usages on the label  to make sure that your glue will work for the type of material in your projects.

 You also have to be aware of the level of toxicity of your glue.  Glues labeled ASTM-4236 are considered to be non-toxic if used as directed. Some glues must be used only in a well ventilated area.  Other glue types may be known carcinogens and really ought to only be used outdoors or while wearing a respirator.  Quick drying glues can glue your fingers together if you are not careful.

For this project I used a PVA (polyvinyl acetate) general purpose white glue.  It is a glue labeled ASTM-4236.  When this glue dries it gives a thin layer of waterproofing, which is ideal for this project.  On this type of  project make sure to use glue labeled multi-purpose or general purpose glue.  Some white glue is labeled as School Glue.  School Glue is not waterproof.  It is designed to wash out of clothing. 

No comments: