Thursday, March 14, 2013

Update on the Folk Art Camel

I apologize for being a day late posting.  I had one of those days that I just could not get to the computer.  Sometimes the harder I try to stay on top of things the busier I get. 

Although I don't have any new photos, I have made progress on the folk art camel.  I have made the reins and straps that in real life would be used to hold the camel's saddle in place.  They have been created and painted.  At the moment they look like pieces of braided rope an inch or two long.  Today they will be glued into place.  

I should have accomplished more, but my first attempt of creating the reins and straps by the same method of fabric and paper mache' did not work well.  The pieces were so small that when I moistened them they completely came apart.  There was just not enough surface area to hold things together.  So, it was on to Plan B, making braided cording in various widths to create the straps.  That worked, but it took time to get each layer of braid coated with glue and paper mache' dried. 

Now I just have to attach them to the camel with glue.  I'll probably have to use a rubber band to hold the straps in place while the glue dries. 

The new tail is in the final stages of painting.  I have to add a layer of paint and glaze.  Once that dries I will drill the hole and glue the tail onto the body. 

There are a couple more accessories that I would like to add to the camel.  I should have them completed by my blog post on Sunday.  Either that or I will have discovered that they are so small that they won't work.


No comments: