Sunday, April 28, 2013

Carousel-Part 20 Flooring continued-photos

I wanted to clarify something I said in my last blog post.  I mentioned that I had  been gluing the flooring on wax paper.  I should be more specific.  I was not gluing the flooring to the wax paper.  I was gluing the pieces of the wood side to side on top of wax paper.  The glue that oozed from between the pieces of flooring was minimal.  With wax paper, it was easy to remove the paper from any spot where the glue had seeped through.  I only had one spot that gave me sticking problems when I lifted the completed floor off the paper.  I cleaned that up using a craft knife.

Anyway, I have completed the flooring.  As you can tell, I was able to obtain some more craft sticks.  In my last blog post I had mentioned that I had run out and had to go purchase more.  Fortunately, the store had one more package in stock. 

The floor has been placed on top of the wooden platform and glued down.  I weighted the floor down with some heavy objects to make sure that I had good adherence.  I left it there for forty-eight hours to make sure that the glue was dry before removing the weights.  My next step will be to cut off the overhanging ends using my Dremel tool and a cutting disk.  I guess I am at one of those anxiety producing points.  If I mess up with the cutting tool, it will be difficult to correct the mistake.  I'll deal with it one way or another, but I really hope that things will go well.

When you look at the photo, you might think that not much has been accomplished.  Actually, quite a bit has been done.  Gluing all those individual pieces of wood took a long time.  It was not a quick process.  I hope to have the platform cut by Wednesday and have the sanding started.  A lot of that will depend on the weather, some rain is forecast for the next couple of days.  I'd rather do this outside to keep the dust down in the studio.  I may be able to work in the downstairs workshop if my husband does not have a project set up on that workbench.   

No comments: