Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Carousel-Part 24-Floor Varnished and Guilded

I added another coat of stain and varnish to the floor of the carousel.  The floor looks quite a bit better now, although it is hard to tell that from the photo.  The gloss varnish creates a lot of glare.  When I try to photograph it, has too much reflection.  I tried to reduce the glare in this photo by bouncing the light off of white paper to soften the light.  It still is not quite right, but the photos are getting better.

My first coat of stain was pecan.  It looked a little red, and had not stained evenly.  Once I added a second stain in pine, the floor looked much better.  Up until then I was wondering if I would be able to continue with my plan because the floor was not looking like I expected it to look.  As I found out, part of the problem was my expectation of what it looked like and the other part was that I don't have any experience with installing real wood floors.  As soon as I put the varnish on it the floor really came to life.  It looked a lot better.

Once the floor was varnished, I painted the exterior portion of the base with 14 karat gold paint.  The gold paint really added something to the look of the floor.  The change in how the base looked has really recharged my excitement about the project. 

My next step is to build the housing that holds up the roof for my project.  In a real carousel the equipment that moves the carousel and the sound system would be inside this room.  For my little project it only holds up the roof.  I placed the animals on the carousel to get a feel for what size the housing would need to be.  As you can imagine, it is really small.  I finally settled on one and a half inches on a side.  I actually considered using a one and a half inch dowel as I have a piece that is just the right size.  However, I finally decided that I would take the longer route and make a little square building.  I'm hoping that I will have the building put together by the next time I blog, although it may not be completely decorated and painted by then. 

No comments: