Wednesday, June 11, 2014

After the Peanut Butter is Finished...

Covered in papier mache'.
I'm blogging about an older project today.  I have been working for months now to get my home back in order after the plumbing disaster.  We are in week fourteen of the recovery, and I am counting down the days until I can get all the furniture and boxes out of my studio so I can get back into it.  We are working on the last room that needs repairs.  So for the moment, I am blogging about a completed project rather than an ongoing project.

Every once in a while, I make a foray into some type of jewelry making from a recycled material.  In this case, a bracelet.  I decided to make bangle bracelets from a recycled peanut butter jar and newspaper.  I cut a ring of plastic from the peanut butter jar and covered it in papier mache'. 

After the papier mache' was dry, I painted it with gold paint and added flowers and foliage around the bangle.  Ultimately, I decided that the gold paint was not satisfactory, and repainted the outer edge of the ring with a pearlized white paint.  It looked much better, but for some reason I don't have a photo of it.  Regular readers may recognize my Wild Rose pattern that I used on my walking stick.

I also two other bangles from the peanut butter jar as well.  However, those pictures seem to have been deleted, or else they were accidentally placed in another photo file and I have not found them yet.  One of the other bangle bracelets was featured in Green Craft magazine Gallery Section.  That one was made with hand painted papers in various shades of turquoise.  The other was made from aluminum foil and tinted with a copper colored alcohol ink.  The bracelet looked like hammered copper.


No comments: