Sunday, November 9, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama - Part 29 - Field Project - Photos

Ghosts are on the trees.
When I started this project, I had a certain idea for the project: specifically, goblins.  I was inspired by the poem, Little Orphant Annie, by James Whitcomb Riley.  The refrain from the poem (paraphrased here) "an the goblins will get you if you don't watch out!" was the inspiration for this piece.  I wanted to do a Halloween piece about the fears and superstitions.  The one time of year that people explore that subject on a large scale is at Halloween.  Hence the working title I have been using: Goblin Halloween Diorama.  I guess everyone is wondering, "Where are the goblins?"  Up to this point, there are only a couple of ghosts and some colorful leaves that suggest that it is Autumn. 
Diorama for the Mystery Build competition.

Well, things are about to change.  I have completed the house, the birds, and the trees.  Now it is time to concentrate on the goblins and Halloween.  I am now moving into the phase of creating creepy creatures.  I'm hoping that I can do this without the diorama becoming too campy.  Along with the poem mentioned above, I'm also drawing inspiration from older sources of horror stories.  Before the hack and slash of modern day horror movies, there were Old World stories about strange creatures that lurked and crept about; or ghosts that lingered, attached to a place.  I'm planning to work some of these types of creatures into the diorama. 

Field 11-9-2014
I don't want to give away the whole show, so I don't want to blog too much ahead of what I am actually doing.  Sometimes plans change or ideas that arise take me in a new direction.  I don't necessarily want to lock myself in to something.  As the saying goes:  "I like to keep my options open."  But, I do expect that there will be a few goblins appearing soon. 

I'd like to remind my readers that the Mystery Build competition for the People's choice award is open for voting through November 20th, 2014.  I have entered a diorama into the competition.  This year's theme is "Build a Dream."  My piece is called, "About that Flying Dream."  I am project number 37, found on page 2.  Here is a link to the voting:  http://mysterybuild.com/   There are a lot of great projects there.  Naturally, I hope that my readers will vote for my project, but vote as you will.

Today's field project photo was taken at 9:10 am this morning.  The temperature was 47 degrees Fahrenheit.  It was overcast, but no rain is forecast for today.  The winds were calm.





No comments: