Sunday, November 23, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama - Part 32 - Photos - Field Project

Goblins have been added to the diorama.
Somehow the field project photo was deleted, (most likely my bad), so I am reposting this with the field photo.

I completed adding the Goblins to the diorama.  For such small pieces, they took a large amount of time.  The Goblins are only about an inch tall.  There were not many places where I could get a good hold on them while trying to work on them.

In an earlier blog, I had mused over whether to paint the Goblins red or green, and whether they should have tails.  I have some books on antique Halloween items and they have pictures of Halloween cards with tiny Imps or perhaps they were Devils on them.  The Imps were red, and had tails and carried pitch forks.  I thought the idea was cute, but practical matters caused me to decide not to use them.   When an item is that small, the parts tend to be fragile.  At some point, the tail might break off.  Given the size of the figure, I would not be able to support it with the wire I used to make the armature because it would have caused the tail to be to look too thick for the body.  Without a wire support the tail would be so thin, that a slight bump or touch could knock it off.  I opted to not use tails on the figures for the long-term good of the diorama.

As to color choice, I decided on a grayish green with dabs of gray.  Rather than have the Goblins stand out brightly, I thought they served the story better by being a little less colorful.  Most of the Goblins are close to the ground and are close to the color of the base of the diorama.  The colorful roof and leaves on the trees draw the eye first, then as the eye wonders over the diorama  they are eventually noticed.  They are there, but not as the most obvious feature.  That fits in well with the last piece for the diorama.  (More about that next blog.)

Field 11-23-2014
In  Old-World folklore, Goblins are tiny creatures who were characterized as annoying, mischievous, evil, or greedy in various stories.  Goblin stories abound in practically every culture, England, France, Germany, the Netherlands, and even Moldavian Gypsy tales to name a few.  Other cultures also have words that meany tiny little creatures in their folk tales.  Goblins were referenced in writings as early as the twelfth century.   Many place names have the word Goblin or local words that mean Goblin in their names indicating that the tiny creatures were thought to reside there.  If you would like to read more about Old-World Goblin mythology, read the Goblin entry in Wikipedia. 

 It is Sunday, so it is time for another field project picture.  Today's photo was taken at 8:35 am.  The temperature was 35 degrees Fahrenheit.  Winds were from the South South East at 6 miles per hours.  The sky is overcast and rain is expected to come in overnight.  Some of our low temperatures this week have been in the upper teens.  Only the hardy mustard and a few weeds are still green.

The voting for the Mystery Build competition is now closed.  I think they will announce the winners in about a week.  I want to thank all of my family, friends, and readers who voted for me and even those who took to time to go to the site, even if they voted for someone else.  There were a lot of great projects there.  I am always amazed at how many ways a theme can be interpreted.  I will let everyone know the outcome once the winners are announced.




No comments: