Sunday, November 16, 2014

Goblin Halloween Diorama - Part 31- Photos- Field Project

This week I was working on my little goblin figures for the diorama.  I started out using cornstarch peanuts to build up the bodies over the wire armatures.  Then I came to my senses.  The cornstarch peanuts are a lot of work because they have to be built up layer by layer.  After four hours of work, I had only two layers of the peanuts on the figures.  In order to get this project completed, I needed to step up the pace.  I decided to complete the figures using paper clay.  With paper clay, I could have the figures completed in one application. This is one case where I had to decide that using a newly purchased product was preferable to trying to be green and use every piece of scrap from other projects.  At least the remaining pieces of cornstarch peanuts will dissolve in
water.

I made a trip to the craft store and purchased the paper clay this week.  Now I have started shaping the figures.  I have completed four of the six figures.  The small size of the figures was still a bit of a problem.  They are only an inch tall.  It is hard to handle figures that small.  Even the tiniest pinch of flattened paper clay was almost too large to cover the arms and legs.  However, it was still faster and easier than my previous method.

Field 11-15-2014
After I had put on the first layer of cornstarch on each figure, I determined where each of the figures would go on the diorama and posed the figure accordingly.  Then I put on the second coat of cornstarch.  It was at that point that I decided that I needed to switch to using paper clay.  The first photo shows all of the figures lined up under post it notes that tell where the figures will appear on the diorama.  The second photo is a close up to show the difference made between one layer of paper clay versus two layers of the cornstarch. You can see why I felt I needed to switch.  Building up a piece layer by layer has a certain meditative quality to it, but there are times when speed is called for more than meditation.  I have been on this project over long, and other projects are calling.  I need to get this project finished. 

My competition piece:  About that Flying Dream.
I will finish the figures this week, and hopefully I will get them painted.  I might even get them positioned on the diorama this week.  Once they are mounted onto the diorama, there will only be once piece left to make the diorama complete.  Check back for more on that on Wednesday's blog post.

Today is Sunday, so it is time for another field project picture.  The photo was taken at 9:00 am.  The temperature was forty degrees Fahrenheit.  Winds were calm.  We had our first freeze earlier this week, and you can see the change in the field.  Many of the grasses
and weeds have turned brown.  Most of the green vegetation still visible are mustard greens.  They were not planted by the farmer, they just show up wild from previous plantings.  I notice that the farmer has removed his stakes that he had for his tomato plants, and pulled up the tomatoes and whatever green he had planted in the other small bed.  The field is getting ready to go to sleep for the winter.

Just a final reminder, I have a piece in the Mystery Build art competition: About that Flying Dream.  First prize is determined by a jury, but there is also a People's choice award as well.   People can see the art and vote online.  The voting is still open until mid-week.  My project is project number 37 found on page 2.  Here is a link to the voting:  http://mysterybuild.com/

No comments: