Sunday, August 28, 2016

Embroidery with Mirror Tiles

I missed last Thursday's post.  I have had so much happening this week that was unable to get on and post anything.  I don't even think I set foot in the studio at all.  It has been one of those weeks that I had to come in, set things down, and head right back out the door.  It seems like my whole week has been like that.  At the moment, my house is a total wreck and I need to pick up and put away a ton of stuff before I can even begin to get into the studio.  So I never did get around to posting on the Vampire Doll I was making. Well, I will have new posts for that on this coming Thursday.

In the mean time, I do have a photo of the embroidery around the mirror tile.  I had blogged about painting some mirror tiles in the last blog post.  At least it keeps post on the same subject together.  I hope to use this embroidery in a new project soon.  I had a lot of trouble learning to do this stitch.  I was pulling too hard and did not know that there was a stay stitch at the bottom of the tile. This meant that the embroidery kept slipping off the mirror. I had to seek help from a friend  in order to learn how to make the stitches that hold the mirror to the fabric.  (I don't mention names on the blog unless I have asked permission so she is not named here.  However, my friend knows who she is and I thank her for her help and encouragement.

Anyway, I have embroidered on this scrap of muslin as a test for my upcoming embroidery project.  This mirror was painted yellow with bake in the oven enamel paints.  The colors are not the best contrast, but I was using up some old thread for this experiment.  I think that the painted mirrors have some potential, if paired with some rich thread colors. 

The Thursday will be back on the Vampire Doll.  I have made some progress on it. Check back then.

No comments: