Thursday, August 18, 2016

Vampire Halloween Doll 3

It does not look like nearly three hours of work, but it is.  Since my last blog post, I finished adding the muslin skin over the batting layer of the doll.  Then I started working on the needle sculpting of one of the hands.  The doll is very small.  Its finished height will be about five and a half inches tall (13.97 cm.).  Because of the small size, it is difficult to work on.  It is hard to hold onto it and the thread keeps getting trapped around the arms and legs.  The challenges of working small make it take much longer to complete the doll.

I plan to work on the doll some more today and tomorrow.  Once I complete the needle sculpting on the other hand, I will begin working on the head.  I have not made a decision on the head yet.  I have some bake in the oven clay, so I could make a clay head.  But I have some reservations on baking a head that small.  Sometimes the air dry clay will burn if it gets too hot.  Earlier this year I spent the better part of a day sculpting a small hand only to have it burn to a crisp in the oven.  If the clay is not baked at the right temperature for a certain amount of time, the head could crumble.  At the moment, I am leaning towards making a cloth head.  I think I will try making the cloth head first.  If it does not look right, I may go back to the idea of a clay head.

I also took some time to do an experiment on a different project.  I call it a "what if" project; as in what if I try this and see what happens.  I will blog on that next blog post.   That will give me a little time to work on the Vampire project.  Hopefully, I will have made a fair amount of progress between posts.  Check back on Sunday for my new experimental project.

No comments: