Thursday, August 11, 2016

Vampire Halloween Doll

Apologies to regular readers for missing the post on Sunday.  I had to make a quick trip out of town.  Today I will be blogging about the new project I mentioned in my last post.  As usual, as I start thinking about autumn, my thoughts turn to a new Halloween project.  This is one that I hope will be some fairly quick and fun.

Last year during the after Halloween sale, I found a small wooden coffin box.  I picked one up, thinking that sooner or later I would figure out something to do with it.  I ran across it the other day and decided that it was time to start a Halloween project.  I decided that it will be a vampire doll in the coffin.  I am sure that I have some black satin scraps around somewhere that I can use to make the doll's clothing

The box actually has small brass hinges and hasp, but they have been removed for painting. I base coated the box with gesso and then gave the box a coat of flat black paint.  I guess I was feeling a little silly the day I painted it because I also gave it a coat of glow in the dark paint mixed with a gold glitter paint and some glaze.  The effect is that it gave the box a gray-ish dusty look.  In theory, the paint is supposed to glow in the dark by absorbing sunlight and then glow in the dark.  Perhaps my mixing it with other paints has dimmed the glow in the dark paint, or perhaps it is not getting enough sunlight, but it does not seem to glow at this point.  I will have to experiment further to see it it is going to work.  It would be really great if it glowed in the dark at night.  I will let you know more about that as things go along.

I have started making the wire armature for the tiny doll.  I used fairly thin wire because I expect the doll will be lying in repose.  However, if I decide that I want to post the doll as if it is beginning to sit up and climb out of the coffin, the wire armature will give me that option.  We will see how things go as they go along.

Anyway, that is as far as I have been able to get on this project so far.  Check back on Sunday for the next blog post. 

No comments: