Thursday, February 16, 2017

First Sketch for the New Doll

I am slowly making progress on a number of projects.  Most of them are not at the point of having photos taken yet.  I expect that this will change in the next week as the projects progress.  The only project that has much to show for it is that I took the time to make a sketch for my next doll, a Flamenco dancer.

I have spent a week looking at photos and trying to get a feel for how I want to portray the doll.  I want to show the doll as if it were in motion.  That is not an easy thing to do since a doll is still.  I made a sketch, which in no way does justice to what I want to do to the doll.    Unfortunately, it is not very dark and does not show up well in the blog photo. 

This is the first sketch.  I use the first sketch to look at it and say what is wrong with this picture.  Then I make another sketch to try to refine what I want.  It helps.  In this case, I want to change the doll's left arm to have more of a bend in it rather than being straight.  I also want the right arm to be more forward with the doll's head looking up towards the right hand.  These refinements will help the movement look more lifelike.

There are a couple of small sketches of the underlying support system.  I plan to try a new method of support for this doll.  This doll will be larger than some of my other dolls, so it will need a support system that will support the weight.   I will be blogging more about the underlying supports as the project moves along.

As usual my complaint is that I wish I could draw better.  I don't spend enough time learning how to draw.  I took a drawing class a few years ago.  It helped some.  The main thing that I need is time.  However, if I spend my time drawing, I don't have that time for making anything else.  So I do the best I can with what I can do.  At least I am moving forward on the project.  

Check back on Sunday for the next blog post.

No comments: