Sunday, February 19, 2017

Pin Cushions - the Beginning

I have a number of projects going on just now.  Few of them are at a point of having photos taken.  Either they are at a point where the project is at a complete beginning stage, or at some point in the middle where the next part of the project has not yet been started.  Some of the projects need some material or hardware parts that I have not yet made the purchases.  However, one way or another, I am making some progress each week on one or the other.

This week I have been working on pin cushions: lots of them.  I saw an article in a Better Homes and Garden Holiday crafts magazine, and thought I would give them a try.  The magazine is several years old.  I have kept it around because "one of these days I am going to do something with that."  As usual, I always plan on adding my own twist on the craft.  The initial pattern is the same as in the magazine though.  I am making several of them so I can experiment with different techniques.  I will be blogging on the additions to the craft when I have photos of the stuffed pin cushions.

I have cut out the pieces, and sewn them together.  There are eighteen pin cushions, six in each size.  This is one of these projects where the time needed to make the project is deceptive.  Making the shapes did not take long, but sewing them on the machine took almost half a day.  I could only go a few stitches before I had to stop the machine and pivot the material to follow the curve of the form.  My sewing machine is an older model and does not have the stop with "needle down" function.  That meant I had to adjust the needle by hand each time I stopped the machine.  It took quite a bit of time.

At this point, all of the shapes are sewn right sides together.  They are as flat as pancakes.  I guess they are something of a flower shape.  They have die cut machines that can make this shape in a matter of seconds.  I do not have one though.  I cut out all the shapes by hand.  A small hole will be cut in the top piece and the shapes will be stuffed.  Decorative string will be added going from the center of the pin cushion through each indentation.  Then the hole will be sewn shut and covered with a piece of material.  The extra piece of material will also cover the knots tied in the decorative string.

I hope to have at least some of the pin cushions stuffed by the next blog post.  If I do not have pin cushions stuffed, I will have photos of the latest update on the Leaf Quilt.  Check back on Thursday for the next blog post.

No comments: